screen command on nix systems
screen is a tool for running a job on a nix server and keep it running even after you have logged out from the server.
1. Create a screen and give it a name myjob
screen -S myjob
2. After you have typed the above command, it will bring you to the screen window you just created with the name myjob. Now you can start a long running program on the screen. Let’s you are running a script on your current directory.
3. After you have started your long running program, you can exit the screen by detach command by press
4. Now you are back to your normal command line window. You can see a list of screens that are running by this command.
5. The above command will give you something like this
13148.myjob (Detached) 16763.myjob2 (Detached) 11796.myjob3 (Detached)
6. To go back to the screen myjob, type the command
screen -r 13148.myjob
7. To kill/quit the screen myjob
screen -X -S 13148.myjob quit
Search within Codexpedia
Search the entire web